In which Marsh, Chris, Tom S and guest Rich Stanton convene to discuss matters of magic in Dominions 4 and The Elder Scrolls. Rich creatively dismantles home invaders in The Castle Doctrine and Marsh contemplates flappity-dappity dongs of Loadout.
Also: everyone gets an important lesson in grenade safety, Rich reveals his complicated relationship with Sharks in Far Cry, Marsh misses the bluegrass of Steven Seagal and the crew tackle the boozy topic of ludonarrative dissonance. Drink!
- Dominions 4. Still mad. Still great.
- Sandwiched between Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim, the unfortunate Elder Scrolls Online.
- Kate Simpson’s essay on The Metaphysics of Morrowind, parts one, two, three and four.
- You can read about Aleister Crowley losing his shit in Egypt in this online collection of his works.
- Will Dark Souls 2 dilute the first game’s delightful strangeness?
- The Castle Doctrine. “A constant battle against bastards, basically.”
- Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a pleasant free roguelike.
- Loadout has all the guns and dongs you could ask for.
- Games that employ episodic structures – The Wolf Humongous, Alan Wake and “best worst game ever”, Alone in the Dark.
- Space Alert, like FTL, but multiplayer, with more shouting.