This week Tom F, Tom S and Graham are joined by Castles in the Sky co-creator Jack De Quidt for an unusually long and segue-woven discussion of Firewatch, Eidolon, Far Cries 2, 3 & 4, Ubisoft’s formulae, and reasons to make morally terrible choices.
- The Firewatch trailer that didn’t excite us much and the Firewatch playthrough that did.
- Henry from Firewatch stamping on the dad from Gone Home’s book.
- Eidolon and Miasmata, both good walky-aroundy games with varying degrees of cartography and horror.
- Cargo Commander, as always.
- The Mighty Whitey trope of which we accuse Far Cry 3. We don’t have a trope for Far Cry 2’s “You don’t have to be white but you do have to be a monstrous prick.”
- Frying pan problems in the Sims 4.
- Unlockable hats in The Last of Us multiplayer brings to mind Tom’s ideas for tonally ruining classic movies with multiplayer modes.
- Firewatch animator James Benson’s amazing Team Fortress 2 dance videos. He also did this great Half-Life-with-hands trailer, and I’ve only just noticed he did a small sample of similar ideas for Half-Life 2.
Here’s the thread to discuss this episode on the forums.
You can email us at email@example.com (puns optional) or follow us on Twitter at @crateandcrowbar. If you’d like to follow us individually, here’s Tom Senior, Tom Francis, Graham Smith, and Jack De Quidt.
This episode is also available on our YouTube channel, where you’ll also find our adventures in Dark Souls, Gang Beasts, Spelunky and more.