Oh for a reality with no consequences, full of stealthy whales and throwable tomatoes. This is the promise of Valve’s Vive VR, which Tom F’s had his head in at GDC recently. Meanwhile, Marsh loses himself in Ori’s blind forest and Tom S manages to find a game about spaceships he doesn’t like.
Also on the pod: brilliant animations, marvellous game prototypes, games that make us suffer, the difference between platforming sections and QTEs, and a BBC drama about GTA. All that and more, in episode 84.
- Tom F enjoyed Valve and HTC’s Vive VR experience.
- Ori and the Blind Forest is fucking beautiful. More so than Rayman Legends? (yes)
- Check out James Benson’s brilliant animations.
- Sid Meier’s Starships… pfff.
- StarCrawlers! Read more of Marsh’ thoughts on RPS.
- A couple of gems from the Train Jam: Train Braining and Bridge Inspector.
- A game you sadly can’t play, AFTERGLOW.
- Quantum Theory made Marsh scream.
- Tom F experienced a cruel savegame fail in his Far Cry 4 playthrough.
- HOTS, or “Dota 2 for adults” as Marsh described it, shortly before Chris killed him.
- Here’s Gillen’s piece on the disturbing Beautiful Escape Dungeoneer.
- America’s Army, described as a “Groundbreaking Tool for Strategic Communication” by the US Army, who made the game. Simon Parkin at the Guardian writes about the long and ongoing relationship between military organisation and games.
- “I am a Russian Occupier.”
- Here’s the BBC blurb about their upcoming drama about the making of GTA.
- Bloodborne! Would you watch/listen if we did a vid/pod?
- A scary whale.
Discuss this episode in the aptly-named Episode Discussion forum.
And if you’d like to follow us on Twitter individually, here we are: