In which we don’t talk about the Time War. Tom returns from Indiecade with myriad thoughts on, er, Myriad, the caveman japes of Tribal And Error – and much more! Chris and Marsh stem the Vermintide and ruminate on the conclusion of Life Is Strange.
Plus: Chris’s further, less effusive thoughts on Overwatch; what cartoons have to tell us about the location of elephant mouths; when football is morally inexcusable; the least appropriate music to play during a global pandemic; much discussion of rods of variously mythical and medicinal kinds; and our favourite in-universe explanations of respawning.
- Twitter is basically f♥♥king unusable now, probably.
- The Warcraft trailer’s trailer.
- Tom’s Indiecade rundown in full:
- Robot caveman translation game, Tribal And Error.
- Hallucinatory shmup Myriad.
- VR tea drinking game Ellie The Messy Elephant. Can’t find a link for this. soz.
- Be an angry beetle in Thumper.
- Be very disoriented in the ultimate glitch game, Memories of a Broken Dimension.
- Try and get through dinner without a barny in the timeloop of Twelve Minutes.
- Sweet-natured, superpowered bildungsroman Life Is Strange is finally over! Here’s what Pip and Alice thought of the ending and here’s the analysis Marsh had about previous episodes.
- Left 4 Dead meets Warhammer-themed whack-a-rat in Vermintide.
- Can Blizzard’s team-shooter Overwatch overcome people’s perverse incomprehension of strategy?
- Pandemic is a great board game, but a little too stressful to play it while listening to the soundtracks for either Under The Skin or It Follows.
- Get your Caduceus / Rod of Asclepius facts here.
- “The worm turns” is a reference to Shakespeare. Of course it is. From Henry VI, Part 3. “The smallest worm will turn being trodden on” – i.e., even the meekest creature will eventually retaliate if provoked enough.
- Tom’s proposed alternative Bioshock ending.
- Marsh talks about Dark Souls’ respawning and metaphysics in this video. Plus he did a big playthrough of Dark Souls with loveable pod-chum Rich Stanton. They’re doing some videos on Metal Gear Solid 5 at the moment, dontcha know.
- And remember, kids: love the Paul.
The place to discuss this episode is in the Episode Discussion forum.
You can also hang out in our Discord chatroom if you like.
You can also follow us on Twitter as individuals:
If you want to support the podcast, you can pledge us a dollar or two per episode over on our Patreon – we’ve used it to buy lots of nice new audio equipment, and next week you’ll be able to hear the difference we promise. You can also give us a one-off tip if you prefer: