In which our beauties are in place. Tom F and Marsh are joined by excellent nice man, AI expert and actual doctor, Mike Cook. They discuss: Master Spy, Kingdom, Nuclear Throne, Rainbow Six, Dark Nexus Arena and Pony Island.
Plus: what Mike and Marsh have been making together; whether our Ocu-lust has been diminished by the newly announced VR hardware price points; the last year’s AI highlights; what artificial intelligence even is anyway; the most awesome Awesome Games Done Quick; and why horses should fear Marsh’s inner sociopath.
- Mike Cook is a very smart man. He made Angelina, which, in turn, makes games. He also runs Procjam. And now, newly announced, he’s making Rogue Process with help and well-meaning hindrance from Marsh.
- Ultima Ratio Regum is a very impressive game which uses procedural generation.
- Desert Golfing is a deceptively simple mobile game that messes with your perception of authorship.
- Moonhunters is an upcoming game of exceptional promise, in which you create your own mythology by playing.
- The Oculus price was announced – millions of wallets suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
- You should probably wait for the Vive anyway, sez Tom.
- Here’s the trailer for the VR stealth game we mention, called Budget Cuts.
- Master Spy is a punishing platformer about stealth.
- Awesome Games Done Quick happened! There are lots of videos. Find the ones we mentioned here.
- Apparently someone did a No Gold Pacifist run of Spelunky.
- Kingdom is a sidescrolling citybuilder that Tom F enjoyed but will likely never play again.
- Nuclear Throne is a top-down shooter that Tom F is intermittently very angry about but seemingly can’t stop playing.
- Rainbow Six: Siege is GOTY for all past and future years, according to Marsh’s erratic whim.
- Warhammer 40,000: Dark Nexus Arena is a MOBA which seems intent on releasing parts of itself into Early Access in exactly the wrong order.
- Pony Island is a funny, weird game about a crap arcade game possessed by a demon.
- Tom’s infamous “Plan B” Gal Civ diary is temporarily lost to us thanks to CVG’s demise, but you can still read his earlier Gal Civ diary in which he plays a slightly less pacifist race of space bunnies.
The place to discuss this episode is in the Episode Discussion forum.
You can also hang out in our Discord chatroom if you like.
You can also follow us on Twitter as individuals:
If you want to support the podcast, you can pledge us a dollar or two per episode over on our Patreon. You can also give us a one-off tip if you prefer: