Tom S, Chris and Marsh try to fathom the bloody ways of Stoneshard, bloody the fathoms in Maneater, embrace doldrums in Sludge Life, bang the old drum for Fez, make other things go bang in Receiver 2, and probe wholes, holes and souls in The Witness.
At the beginning of this episode we express our support for the Black Lives Matter movement and Black and minority communities throughout the US and across the world who are protesting racial injustice.
We understand the responsibility that we have as people with privilege to educate ourselves, and to contribute our time and resources to combatting racism and discrimination in our day to day lives and in the industry to which we contribute.
We are taking some immediate action in the form of charitable donations to Black Lives Matter and the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust. We are also investigating ways that we can use the podcast to support worthy causes in the future.
Below you’ll find a list of antiracism resources and organisations. If you can, we’d love it if you offered them your attention and support.
- If you are white and looking to improve your understanding of racial injustice, then How To Be An Anti-Racist by Ibram X Kendi and Me and White Supremacy by Layla F Saad are both accessible places to begin. For Our White Friends Desiring To Be Allies by Courtney Ariel is a free article that you may also find helpful.
- Many recommendations for books and resources are available from Victoria Alexander’s widely-circulated anti-racist reading list and anti-racist resource guide.
- If you are a parent and you’re looking for anti-racist books appropriate for children, EmbraceRace has a list which is available here.
- Elle Osili-Wood wrote a comprehensive Twitter thread with additional resources, charity links, and advice on action that can be taken by both white people and people of color, in the US, UK and elsewhere.
- If you are protesting in the United States, the ACLU has a useful summary of your legal rights.
Causes to support:
- Black Lives Matter
- Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust
- Liberty Human Rights
- Campaign Zero
- NAACP Legal Defence and Education Fund
- Community Justice Exchange
- List of US bail funds for protestors
- The Marshall Project
- A list of Minnesota-specific organisations can be found on this list compiled by Reclaim the Block
This is by no means a comprehensive list! We’re very happy to make additions or amendments based on your feedback: feel free to contact us at contact [at] crateandrowbar [dot] com.
On with the show notes!
- Why does Stoneshard want me not to play it?
- Tag up late-capitalism in Sludge Life
- Meticulously modelled mechanisms of troubling purpose: Receiver 2
- Eco-chomp through a world of decrepit, indolent human dipshittery in the resolutely 6-out-of-10 Maneater.
- Go beyond the infinite (in two delicious flavours) with Fez.
- Gallop at the speed of a free and beautiful horse in The Witness.
- This is Portmeirion, by the way.
You can hang out with us and our community on our Discord channel. If you have a question for a future episode, send it to us at email@example.com or tweet us @crateandcrowbar. You can also listen to it on YouTube, and subscribe to our YouTube channel, if you like.
The Crate and Crowbar is kindly funded by our Patreon backers. If you’d like to know more about supporting our podcast and its spinoffs, click here.