In which we are filled with seasonal cheer, mince pies and snot. The whole team gathers to talk about what got their goat and their GOTY in 2013. Amazingly, no one even mentions Spelunky or Dota 2! Until they do. At length. Merry Christmas.
Also: Tom F confesses his strangely matrimonial take on XCOM squad dynamics, while Chris realises Hearthstone’s cards aren’t dicks. Plus! Remembrance of Clancy games past, predictions of the next coma-ghost phone-hacking scandal and how to attain infinite death threats.
- Come to our forums!
- Buy our t-shirts! The perfect gift for owl/wizard fanciers.
- XCOM: Enemy Within, aka, Robo-Burch & Cyber-Gaynor: Attorneys At Law.
- Blizzard’s deck building battler Hearthstone is not bullshit.
- Dishonored’s excellent DLC: The Brigmore Witches.
- Gunpoint is still available to purchase. Just saying. It’s there. Fits neatly in a stocking.
- Gone Home. Did you defeat the ghost yet? Hint: You’ll need to find the golden AK47.
- CounterStrike: Global Offensive, a heartwarming coming-of-age story.
- Spelunky and Dota 2 are games you may have heard of.
- The randiest and dandiest Assassin’s Creed yet: Black Flag.
- Aptly for this time of the year, a truly excellent turkey: Driver: San Francisco. Even if you don’t like car games, this is great.
- Ubisoft Reflections hasn’t closed down. In fact, they’re busy making The Crew. Sorry! However, the studio’s founders, Martin and Gareth Edmondson, moved on elsewhere.
- From our discussion about avatar persistence: Age of Wushu and Neptune’s Pride.
- Cars Cars Cars Go.
- Ron Carmel’s newly announced week-long spy game, Subterfuge.
- Frozen Synapse, “The Map Phase From Rainbow Six, But It Works: The Game”.
- The essay on specialism and polymathics that Chris mentions.
- Games to play with a hangover: Proteus and Kentucky Route Zero. Worth remembering come the achey waking hours of 2014.
Here follow possible spoilers for our GOTY discussion, if spoiling such a thing is possible.
And with that, happy holidays! We’ll be back in January.