Chris, Tom F and Graham gather during the peak of E3 to discuss which trailers light their fires. Plus: Graham stomps on The Stomping Land, Tom floats some discussion of Floating Point, and Chris goes wild in the PvP and player housing of Wildstar.
Also we go even longer to answer your questions: what old mod we’d port to a new game, the problems of open world game design, the goalposts-for-jumpers of esports, fun kinds of DRM, how commissioning works between magazines and in what ways we’d re-write games.
- Here’s a list of the games we discuss during our opening E3 round-up.
- Chris managed to get into the Battlefield Hardline closed beta during the E3 conferences, giving him some perspective on the E3 presentations.
- The Stomping Land is out now in Early Access. Graham hates its dinosaurs and its island and its everything.
- Tom released a game! It’s free, it’s called Floating Point, and it might infest your brain like it has Graham’s.
- Chris has played Wildstar for over 40 hours, but he’s not done yet. He responds to a commenter on our forum, and also explains where to sit on airplanes.
- Numenera is a pen-and-paper ruleset designed more around collaborative storytelling and less around number-y combat. It’s also the basis of the new Torment game, Tides of Numenera.
- Akinator is freakishly good at guessing what character you’re thinking of.
- DRM can be a nuisance. It can also be quite funny, as in Game Dev Story and Serious Sam.
- Werewolf is a fun game you can play with friends that doesn’t require any parts you can’t make yourself with pen and paper. Tom wrote about it.
- Star Wars Battlefront
Mass Effect 4
Assassin’s Creed Unity
Rainbow Six Siege
Far Cry 4
No Man’s Sky
Discuss this episode in this thread on the forums.
Our intro music is by The Mandibles from their track Clambake. Many of the band members now tour as Count Bobo And The Bullion.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS