The entire gang gathers to see out the year in snuffly, sneezy style. Was it a good year for PC games? Which PC games did we particularly like? Is a man with bombs for hands a man? These and many other vital questions are dealt with on this week’s show.
Also: what if Kevin Spacey was your dad, wouldn’t that be brilliant? Also also: flying smart in Elite: Dangerous, robbing old people in This War of Mine, pitting procedurally generated art against the real stuff and loads more. So many games!
- Great year for RPGs: Dragon Age: Inquisition, Divinity: Original Sin, Grimrock 2, Wasteland 2.
- A good year for strategy: Endless Legend, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Hearthstone.
- Did we see the death of the new subscription MMO this year? TESO disappointed, Wildstar seems to be struggling.
- Never mind, This War of Mine is great, and a little bit like Zafehouse Diaries, as Graham mentions.
- Tom Francis’ picks: Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Transistor.
- Graham Smith’s picks: NEO Scavenger, Qvadriga, Door Kickers.
- Chris Thursten’s picks: Blade Symphony, Alien: Isolation, Dragon Age: Inquisition.
- Tom Senior’s picks: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, Dark Souls 2, Ikaruga.
- Marsh Davies’ picks: The Banner Saga, The Talos Principle, Dark Souls 2.
- Elite: Dangerous another late contender.
- Stuff we’re excited about next year: Grand Theft Auto V, Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain, Pillars of Eternity, Batman: Arkham Knight.
- Batman doesn’t kill.
- Games with great snow? Snow problem! Rooftop Cop, Intrusion 2, Company of Heroes 2, The Thing.
- Games we’d recommend to our 12-year-old selves. Gunpoint, in Tom F’s case, of course. Far Cry 4, Dota 2, Mass Effect.
- Not-games that are gamey include Edge of Tomorrow, Source Code, Death Note, the Ghost in the Shell TV series.
- Enjoy the procedurally generated gallieries of Secret Habitat, the exploration of Outer Wilds and the futuristic cantinas of Bernband.
The place to discuss this episode is the Episode Discussion Forum.
And if you’d like to follow us on Twitter individually, here we are:
We’re all off to get drunk and open presents for a few weeks. The Crate and Crowbar will return in January. Merry Christmas and a happy new year!