Bonus episode! Tom chats to top games critic and lovely person Christian Donlan in a meandering discussion about Star Trek, old Mario games, classic sci-fi films, Rogue, and much more. And then Christian’s cat makes an appearance, which just makes everything even better.
The main C&C pod shall resume service shortly! Also another film ‘n telly pod with Jamie Brittain is in the works. Also I, Tom, having dropped the third-person pretence only moments into writing this intro, will politely nag Christian to do another one of these when he has time. Hope you all enjoy!
- Tom has been playing a lot of Mario Galaxy, Sunshine, and Mario 64 on Switch. Which one is the best though?
- We got into a lot of fun tangents early. Films mentioned: 2001 A Space Odyssey, Rush, Blade Runner, Nice Guys, Les Mis.
- Remember cinemas? BFI constantly sponsor reruns of classic films in the UK – worth a follow.
- Rogue is on Steam, kind of, purists might want to hunt for the unchanged original version.
- Christian revisited Rogue in 2020 and wrote this great piece about it. I love articles that make me immediately want to download a game and chase the same experience.
- ToeJam and Earl is just Rogue – discuss.
- Special shout-out to Christian’s cat, making a sadly brief audio cameo.
- Christian intelligently references Orson Wells’ Moby Dick stage show.
- BUT THEN Tom gets carried away and tangentially references Wells’ War of the Worlds radio show because he listened to it recently and got excited.
- Modern Rogue descendants (there are so, so many more) – Spelunky, Hades, and Below (not so good).
- The title of the next Stereophonics album: “Just Enough Suffering to Make it Worthwhile”
- Diablo: “Hitting skeletons and getting loot”. The perfect five-word elevator pitch.
- Tom dives into the wankthought hole(tm} with reflections on the psychology of dungeons, or at least the gloom and delight of descending to terrible depths and emerging into sunlight as an effective device.
- The Silent Cartographer – Halo, Blighttown, Half-Life Alyx, and so many more games do this, and it’s great.
- Jennifer Allen writes brilliantly about Ski Free over at EG.
You can hang out with us and our community on our Discord channel. If you have a question for a future episode, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @crateandcrowbar. You can also listen to it on YouTube, and subscribe to our YouTube channel, if you like.
The Crate and Crowbar is kindly funded by our Patreon backers. If you’d like to know more about supporting our podcast and its spinoffs, click here.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS