Jamie and Marsh enthuse about Paul Thomas Anderson’s latest film, Licorice Pizza – an energetic and uplifting tale of an eccentric romance set against the backdrop of 70s LA. Watch it, it’s fab.
- The 94th Academy Awards! Licorice Pizza woz robbed! Maybe?
- Billy Crystal getting covered in gob
- Who’s in this film then, eh?
- Alana Haim as Alana
- Cooper Hoffman as Gary
- Alana Haim’s entire actual family as Alana’s family
- John Michael Higgins as Jerry
- Skyler Gisondo as Lance (also seen in the excellent Righteous Gemstones)
- John C Reilly as Fred Gwynne, playing Herman Munster
- Harriet Sansen Harris as the talent scout
- Sean Penn as Jack Holden, based on William Holden
- Tom Waits as Rex Blau, based on Mark Robson
- Bradley Cooper as Jon Peters, a real-life hairdresser, hollywood mogul and, apparently, maniac who wanted Superman to fight a giant spider
- George Dicaprio
- Benny Safdie as Joel Wachs, and one part of the Safdie Brothers – who are not, as per Adam Sandler’s tremendous acceptance speech, homeless rabbis.
- Maya Rudolph has a cameo during one of the casting calls. She’s a tremendous actor who should be in more things, not necessarily shitting herself each time – but she is very good at that, as Bridesmaids attests.
- Andy Jurgensen is the editor and long-time collaborator of PTA. Here’s an interview with the fella.
- Licorice Pizza draws from some of the life experience of Gary Goetzman, former child actor, waterbed salesman and co-founder of Tom Hanks’ production company.
- Other films and filmmakers we mention:
- PTA’s previous films: Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, Inherent Vice, The Master, Phantom Thread
- Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- The Safdie brothers’ Good Time and Uncut Gems are panic attacks masquerading as films. They’re excellent. They should have both been in our Top 50 probably. Apols!
- Mank is a film saturated in nostalgia and reverence for an era that is inaccessible without a lot of shared knowledge.
- Wes Anderson and Edgar Wright also get name-checked for their playful cutting and framing which I find increasingly insufferable.
- PTA interviewing Robert Downey Senior about getting sexy with a monkey.
You can hang out with us and our community on our Discord channel. If you have a question for a future episode, send it to us at email@example.com or tweet us @crateandcrowbar. You can also listen to it on YouTube, and subscribe to our YouTube channel, if you like.
The Crate and Crowbar is kindly funded by our Patreon backers. If you’d like to know more about supporting our podcast and its spinoffs, click here.