Graham, Tom S and Marsh have somehow found the time to watch, then rewatch and even discuss The Batman, the recent bladder-bursting film directed by Matt Reeves and starring Robert Pattinson.
- Obviously, we spoil the film. Don’t listen or read below if you have yet to see the film and wish any of its surprises preserved.
- Who’s in this film then, eh?
- Robert Pattinson as The Battinson
- Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman
- Paul Dano as Riddler
- Colin Farrel as Penguin, amazingly
- Peter Saarsgard as the DA Glen Gonnasplode
- John Turturro as Carmine Falcone
- Jeffrey Wright as Jim Gordon
- Con O’Neill as Pete 2, with his wonderfully distinct voice
- Barry Keoghan as Unnamed Arkham Prisoner who is obviously the Joker
- Batcomics mentioned: Frank Miller’s supermacho libertarian fantasies, and The Court of Owls.
- Other Batfilms briefly discussed:
- The 90s continuity courtesy of Tim Burton and then Joel Schumacher: Batman (1989), Batman Returns (1992), Batman Forever (1995), Batman & Robin (1997)
- The Christopher Nolan era: Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- The Snyderverse: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Justice League (2017), Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021)
- And, tangentially, if we must, Joker (2019)
- David Fincher’s excellent serial killer films – Se7en and Zodiac – clearly lend a lot to both the feel and content of this film.
You can hang out with us and our community on our Discord channel. If you have a question for a future episode, send it to us at email@example.com or tweet us @crateandcrowbar. You can also listen to it on YouTube, and subscribe to our YouTube channel, if you like.
The Crate and Crowbar is kindly funded by our Patreon backers. If you’d like to know more about supporting our podcast and its spinoffs, click here.