Graham, Jamie and Alex delight in being terrible at traditional roguelikes. Recklessly quaff an unidentified potion, dodge the snapping maw of an ASCII eel, and join us as we plunge into the unknown, die horribly, and rise again.
- This is a pod about the more closely related descendents of Rogue! E.g…
- Brogue! The Community Edition is found here and is necessary for playing the same seed that Jamie and Alex have been dying in: 27052022. Enjoy!
- Shiren the Wanderer
- Jupiter Hell
- Angband and its offshoots, like Zangband
- But this is NOT a pod about roguelite or distantly related games, even though they may carry on concepts of repetition or permadeath, e.g. Slay the Spire, Into the Breach, Hoplite or Michael Brough’s games like Cinco Paus. Sorry, those games.
- Spelunky was Jamie’s way into the genre.
- Kieron Gillen, the inventor of games journalism and an inspiration to us all.
- Diablo is just realtime Angband! Get over yourselves, Blizzard!
- Dwarf Fortress‘s Adventure Mode is more or less a trad roguelike.
- Tales of Maj’Eyal
- NEO Scavenger
- Stoneshard has very granular wounding, Graham’s favourite thing!
- Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman
- Caves of Qud
- John Harris, aka RodneyLives on Twitter, wrote a book called @Play and it is good
- Roguelike Celebration
- Tonehack, a Nethack streamer
- BlindIRL, a Dwarf Fortress streamer
- Roguelike Radio podcast
- Here are some articles by Graham about roguelikes: on Dwarf Fortress’s Adventure Mode, on boozing in Brogue, and on roguelike level generation.
You can hang out with us and our community on our Discord channel. If you have a question for a future episode, send it to us at email@example.com or tweet us @crateandcrowbar. You can also listen to it on YouTube, and subscribe to our YouTube channel, if you like.
The Crate and Crowbar is kindly funded by our Patreon backers. If you’d like to know more about supporting our podcast and its spinoffs, click here.